The mistake I made

I have had a very assertive personality all my life, it has always been my way or highway. I did not believe that others understood something in some other way. My perspective said that there has to be only one way to look at a particular situation. And as you can guess that 'one way' was an indigenous creation of my neurons. 

"Our lives are different, our problems are different.", words that threw me off balance, I might not remember them exactly but, I am pretty sure, I remember the meaning behind them.

I never would have imagined that just one sentence would send me back to analysing my whole psyche. I realized that I needed to better understand that people may have different perspectives and reactions than my own. They need not react to a situation the same way I do. This rigidity was a flat-out toxic trait I possessed, ever since that day, I have worked on myself. Worked on myself by tolerating differences of opinion, by not being impulsive, and by being a better listener. The ideal personality always seems an illusion, and I am blurring it out.

I feel confident when people share the stories of their lives with me. It makes me think that I have worked on myself enough to create a space for them wherein they can share without care. I was an absolute fool to cut out people because they had different opinions, half of the lessons I learnt were not with people similar to me, but with the ones opposite. This variety lets you step in the shoes of others and experience the world with a new scope.

I think accepting your faults is the hardest stage of evolving. It took a few fights and debates, to figure out that I was the wrong one. This was one of the many things that a person cannot just accept and move on in life with. You have to get out of such a mindset. I might not have completely, but I try my level best every damn day. This is just another way, of sorting your life.  I didn't change myself to be perfect. Instead, I worked on becoming an understanding sister, a trustworthy friend, and the daughter my parents deserve.

My sister has been very supportive throughout all of it. I might not speak up verbally about things but she knows it somehow. I would have left everything had she been not there to tell me to keep going on. Find a person for yourself who can observe things that even you don't, because their criticism matter so much. That person will definitely help you travel your journey with such maturity and comfort. 

Life is easier when you have the right set of people around you.



Mail: diana.beingyou@gmail.com
Instagram: beingyoubyd




I'll catch you in the next one,
Diana Jean

Comments

Popular Posts